List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: DCOP or Corba, or even something else?
From:       Christian Lavoie <clavoie () bmed ! mcgill ! ca>
Date:       2002-09-16 20:20:22

On Lunes 16 Septiembre 2002 15:32, Timo A. Hummel wrote:
> Hi guys (and girls),
>
> as you might know, I'm working on a network management system. Now it's
> time to get on the client-server part and I was wondering which RPC
> mechanism I should choose: DCOP, CORBA, or even something else? My
> requirements:
>
> - It should be a fast protocol (authentification is required, encryption
> is optional, but would be nice)
> - It should not be overblown
> - Estimated data transfer: 10-500K per Transaction (depending how
> complex the views/informations are)

Have a look at MCOP, from the arts-project.org website. (And from artsd, which
is the multimedia thing in KDE). Despite it's simplicity, it's actually a
solid CORBA replacement (since it's what it replaced in ARTS in the first
place). It's my understanding that it can be used without arts.

Dunno about authentication, but you are probably looking at using some other
authentication mecanism like Kerberos if you plan on using CORBA or DCOP
anyway.

Have fun,
Chris

--
Maybe computer science ought to be taught in the School of Philosophy

Christian Lavoie, clavoie@bmed.mcgill.ca
http://www.christianlavoie.com