List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Plan for newcd ioslave
From:       Andras Mantia <amantia () virtualartisans ! com>
Date:       2002-09-12 7:15:27

On Thursday 12 September 2002 05:30, Holger Schröder wrote:
>  i don't know, if multisession cds
> support changing of names of files in older sessions, but even if, i
> don't think this is needed.

It is supported, and I think it should be treated as well. Eg. if you use a
multisession CD-R for backups it is very important, and its also useful if
you realized that you burned a wrong version of a file (or files) to the CD.

Also I think if the cache directory is configurable, there should be an option
to not use this dir at all (except for file from the non-local file system).
Before burning there can be a validation and tell the user if some of the
files from the list are not valid anymore (he has moved/deleted them), and
ask what to do, like:
- delete the files from the list and burn
- abort burning

Andras

PS: It is a fact that in some places of the world even with cheap hard disk
prices there are users who cannot afford to have 2*650MB (cache dir and ISO
image) free space for CD burning, and I think you really must take this into
account. Otherwise they will just use a burner application, not the slave.