List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: A proposal to deal with the current RedHat situation
From:       Adam Treat <manyoso () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2002-09-02 15:47:30

On Sunday 01 September 2002 08:45 pm, Shawn Gordon wrote:
> This is a general proposal, no one really needs to know about Jane
> specifically beyond how the spec files need to be set up.  I expect this
> process to get fine tuned a bit, but I'd also imagine that there are people
> using virtually every distro combination around and we can arrive at some
> formalized testing for the packages.  What I'd like to do is get a series
> of volunteers that will handle the spec files for each distro (all
> versions), so this would only take about a half dozen people, and not a
> whole lot of time since I believe spec files likely exist already.

Wait a minute.  Is Jane Free Software?  If KDE is going to release 'Official'
packages, then it would seem to make sense that the build tools are all Free
Software.  Sorry, I get a little nervous when you say, "...no one really
needs to know about Jane specifically beyond how the spec files need to be
set up."  We do not need any dependence upon non-free software for 'Official'
packages.  Now, if you want to distribute your own packages with as little
change from cvs source as possible and release them as Vanilla packages, then
please go ahead, but if these are to be distributed _by_ KDE _as_ 'Official'
KDE packages then I think the build tools need to be completely free.