List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Fwd:Widgets for IP- and MAC-Address (was:KIPAdressInput Class)
From:       Christian Lavoie <clavoie () bmed ! mcgill ! ca>
Date:       2002-08-31 19:42:52

On Sábado 31 Agosto 2002 15:33, Michael Ritzert wrote:
> Am Samstag, 31. August 2002 20:59 schrieb Timo A. Hummel:
> > One thing which is already implemented is that if one octet of the IP
> > address is larger than 255, it is automatically corrected to 255.
>
> I'm not sure it is a good idea to try and secondguess the user. What if you
> wanted to type 210 and hit the 3 instead of the 2? If this is silently
> corrected to 255 you might end up submitting a wrong IP.

Another quite good example of why second guessing the user is suboptimal.

"As a program, treat all user entry/data/opinions as gospel."

> What I'd prefer is some kind of message box when Ok is pressed and the IP
> is invalid that says something like "Invalid octet.", has only an Ok button
> and gives focus to the (first) field with the/a wrong value when closed. Or
> maybe do not open an extra message box, but put the text somewhere within
> the dialog itself.

A common way for HTML forms is to simply mark the 'wrong' data entries in a
different colour when the page reloads, so users are both used to this idea
and able to react. If the dialog/widget changes it's colour dynamically when
something is not yet valid, you get the best of both worlds.

Have fun,
Chris

--
I haven't lost my mind. It's backed up on tape somewhere.

Christian Lavoie, clavoie@bmed.mcgill.ca
http://www.christianlavoie.com