List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Fwd:Widgets for IP- and MAC-Address (was:KIPAdressInput Class)
From:       Michael Ritzert <kde () ritzert ! de>
Date:       2002-08-31 19:33:02

Am Samstag, 31. August 2002 20:59 schrieb Timo A. Hummel:
> One thing which is already implemented is that if one octet of the IP
> address is larger than 255, it is automatically corrected to 255.

I'm not sure it is a good idea to try and secondguess the user. What if you
wanted to type 210 and hit the 3 instead of the 2? If this is silently
corrected to 255 you might end up submitting a wrong IP.

What I'd prefer is some kind of message box when Ok is pressed and the IP is
invalid that says something like "Invalid octet.", has only an Ok button and
gives focus to the (first) field with the/a wrong value when closed. Or maybe
do not open an extra message box, but put the text somewhere within the
dialog itself.

What I wouldn't like to see is an Ok button that is siltently disabled while
the IP is invalid. Thinking about long v6 addresses it might be hard to
quickly see why the IP is wrong without visual guidance by the app. Then
again I'm not even sure one can mistype a v6 address iff entered in 8 or 16
input fields, because all permutations of [1-9a-f] of length <= 4 are valid
in this context.

Thinking further about v6 support brings me to this: v6 adresses consist of up
to 8 parts, separated with ':' and IMO it would be unpractical to have 8 (or
even 16 if you want to go byte-wise) input fields, where some or most might
even be empty for a valid address (::1) and you basically would have to start
typing from the right side to fill it in correctly. So for v6 using a single
input field might be better. This would mean an inconsistency to v4 address
input. Therefore using a single input field for v4, too, should be considered
an option, if one were to be used for v6.

Just my 2¤-cents.

Michael