List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Print manager usability improvement (2nd trial)
From:       Michael Goffioul <goffioul () imec ! be>
Date:       2002-08-30 11:20:29

Hetz Ben Hamo wrote:

> This reminds me something...
>
> As people have read it in slashdot, Apple is going to release their Rendezvous
> As Open Source. Michael - do you think to add this support to the KDE
> printing support? or is this depends on things like CUPS?

I have the impression that this is more a thing to be done at the
print spooler (like CUPS) level. CUPS already supports printer broadcasting
through network, using CUPS-specific and SLPv2 protocol. I guess
the support for RendezVous should be done at that level, by adding
a new supported protocol. As Apple has also adopted CUPS as printing
system, I'm pretty sure we shouldn't wait too long for such feature
to pop up.

Michael.