List:       kde-devel
Subject:    need help with special .desktop file
From:       Bart Symons <bart.symons () skynet ! be>
Date:       2002-08-30 9:17:44

Hi all,

I've written a KDE extension called VirtualCD that lets the user mount CDROM
iso images as virtual CDROM in his home directory
(http://users.skynet.be/top/virtualcd/index.html).
The virtual CDs are automatically unmounted when the user logs of again.

The whole thing works on the basis of a single bash scripts which creates some
desktop files, modifies startkde,etc.

I would like to let the user unmount mounted virtual CDs by listing them in
Konqueror's sidebar.

The actions I'ld like to support:
1. Left-clicking a virtual CD in sidebar -> open the virtual CD in Konqi's
main window
2. Right-cliking a virtual CD in sidebar -> add the "unmount virtual CD"
option to the service menu + remove some irrelevant default menitems like
"move to", "delete", "rename", ... which don't make sense for a read-only
virtual CD.

I have explored the option of writing my own KonqSidebarPlugin but I'ld like
to stick to my current approach where everything is accomplished by
interaction between some desktop files, a single bash script and some
ubiquitous Linux tools like mount, grep, .... The advantage of that approach
is that it is small (<8kbyte download) and doesn't require compilation.