List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: SECURITY: Konqueror SSL Vulnerability
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-08-13 3:28:08

On Monday 12 August 2002 05:56 pm, Alexei Podtelezhnikov wrote:
> Waldo Bastian wrote:
> > Patch for the patch:
> > s^X509_PURPOSE_SSL_CLIENT^X509_PURPOSE_SSL_SERVER^
> >
> > Otherwise www.ibm.com gets wrongly accused of not having a valid
> > certificate.
> >
> > See.. you better use CVS :-)
>
> I think now is the perfect opportunity to release KDE 2.2.3.
> Why? Because, admit it, there not too many CVS mirrors around.
> This makes the working version of KDE less accessible.

The "working version" of KDE is KDE 3.0.3 and will be released shortly.

> It's more and more often  I hear an "advise" to use Mandrake.
> This distribution uses CVS, they better mark it this way then.
> It's just damn confusing now when KDE 2.2.2 is refered to CVS.
> Some people don't know about it. Some people consider CVS
> as way too experimental - read not worthy inclusion in a stable
> product to charge for.

Well, CVS is not different than HTTP or FTP. It is just a way to distribute
software. We have mostly stable software available on our ftp site, but we
have also unstable software available via ftp. See
ftp//ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/unstable :-)

CVS is mostly being used for new development but it also contains stable
branches. If you pull software from the KDE_2_2_BRANCH or the KDE_3_0_BRANCH
you get very stable versions that include the latest bug fixes. If you are
about to burn CDs it would be a waste not to include those fixes.

Using the HEAD branch of CVS is a different story. CVS HEAD contains software
under active development and using that for production purposes before it has
been released is reckless.

That said, a final ssl patch for KDE 2.2.2 will be made available on our ftp
server shortly.

Cheers,
Waldo
--