List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Tabbed Browsing usability issue
From:       Yenar Calentaure <yenar () host ! sk>
Date:       2002-08-07 15:06:21

Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Tuesday, 6. August 2002 22:51, Randy Pearson wrote:
>
>>Final stab at it...
>>
>>I've modified the patch to include the improvements suggested by Dog
>>and now use default keystrokes of CTRL+[ and CTRL+].
>

> I don't know if KDE supports different shortcut settings for different
> languages, because this would be needed on German keyboards then.
> [ and ] are already modifed keys (Alt Gr + 8 and Alt Gr + 9)

It seems that all reasonable shortcuts are used somehow already. What
about using multikey sequences? E. g. Ctrl+T as first key (as Tab), then
'n' for new, 'c' for close, etc? IIRC this is already implemented in
kdelibs (KAction? Correct me if i'm wrong...).

Proposed shortcuts:
n - new
c - close
a - next
z - previous
1-9 - jump to n-th tab
d - detach from window (is this feature present..? i' not sure)

These are IMHO easier to remember... If you have both hands on keyboard,
they are quite easy/fast to type. Probably some key closer to ctrl could
be used instead of 'T'. 'A' comes to mind (know screen?)...

Another thought: using ctrl with second key can decrease complexity of
keystroke, but you will have to choose keys close to ctrl ('n' is too
far away imho...).

OTOH it is questionable if this isn't too much overhead for user... But
remembering which of alt/ctrl/shift combo to use is not easy either (IMHO).

Just thoughts...

--
[ Yenar Calentaure | yenar@host.sk | http://yenar.host.sk ]

PS: What about adding command mode to KDE apps? as in vi? :)))