List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Can I have my own private Control Center?
From:       Bart Symons <bart.symons () skynet ! be>
Date:       2002-08-06 22:22:36

On Tuesday 06 August 2002 22:30, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> On Tuesday 06 August 2002 12:10 pm, Bart Symons wrote:
> > Is there a way to have my own private Control Center (the original one
> > remaining available) in which I could put my own entries?

> > An example: an "Emulation Control Center" with main entries for Wine,
DOSemu,
> > Basilisk, Vice, etc. and then for each of these emulators futher
subsections.

> > Another example: a "KOffice Control Center"  with main entries for General
> > Options, KWord, Kspread, KPresenter, etc. and then for each of these
> > KOffice apps futher subsections.

> > This might also inspire developers of other apps to provide their
application
> > with appropriate Control Center plugins. Maybe a Java VM configuration
> > panel would be nice?

> > This sort of stuff wouldn't belong in the real Control Center but it
> > would be great have something like Control Center to group configuration
> > panels for special types of apps, i.e. to run kcontrol and have it show
> > another title and use a different directory tree with .desktop files than
> > the default. Something like "kcontrol --title="Emulation Control Center"
> > --base="/ opt/kde3/share/apps/emucc".

> You can already provide a list of desktop files to kcmshell.
>
> If you still want to hack on kcontrol that shouldn't be too hard either.
> E.g. you should fix KCGlobal::baseGroup in
> kdebase/kcontrol/kcontrol/global.cpp so that it returns whatever you have
> passed to --base. If you then pass --base=emucc it will pick up .desktop
> files from $KDEDIR/share/applnk/emucc/ instead of
> $KDEDIR/share/applnk/Settings
>
> Cheers,
> Waldo

Hi Waldo,

Well, your suggestion is precisely what I had in mind. It can't be difficult
and even someone with my poor programming skills should be able to do it.
Problem is though, how do I get it into the main source base, i.e. how can I
commit these changes so they really become part of the official kcontrol.

It's probably a trivial thing to do for the current maintainers but would
require far more overhead (unfamiliar with kcontrol sources and no experience
with CVS) for someone like me to do this.

PS: I'm not being lazy here, just pragmatic. To proove it check out
http://users.skynet.be/top/webconfig/index.html. I even had to learn C++
first just so I could write my first KDE app.