List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Java problems
From:       Till Krech <till () snafu ! de>
Date:       2002-08-05 21:09:38

On Tuesday 06 August 2002 05:36, Hetz Ben Hamo wrote:
> Oh well,
>
> It seems that using IBM's JRE solves the problem. Sun's version doesn't
> handle unicode well at all. So typical...

hmm.. I was still busy testing. Here it doesn't work with IBM jdk1.3.0. I
can't get any hebrew character, just brackets, digits, quotes and punctuation
characters. In kmail it works: ×©× ×‘×’×§×›×¢ :)

With this applet (works only with 1.4.0):
http://java.sun.com/products/plugin/1.4/demos/jfc/SwingSet2/SwingSet2.html
I get little squares instead of hebrew characters.

Could this have anything to do with the font.properties file in
$JAVA_HOME/jre/lib ?
I remember that I already adjusted mine a bit because line spacing was much
too big in j2sdk1.4.0.
It would be really nice, if you could perhaps try to figure out, what the
reason is that something could be put into the howto.

But, after all, it seems to be a java- and not a kde problem.
And it's very interesting, that it works at least better in konqueror than in
netscape ;)

> Thanks Till for your help.
always a pleasure :)

regards, till

--
Till Krech from Berlin, Germany is happy with
SuSE Linux 8.0 (i386) 2.4.18-64GB-SMP * KDE: 3.0.7 (KDE 3.1 beta1)