List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: portability
From:       tech () bishop ! dhs ! org
Date:       2002-08-03 19:55:00

On Sat, Aug 03, 2002 at 09:19:21PM +0300, hasanen wrote:
> is there any thing i can do to make my KDE program have a binary
> compatability in the next KDE releases ???
>
> yesterday i wanted to run KDE 1.x application on KDE 2.1.1 , but there was
> no binary compatability , so what i did !! i just copied the old KDE 1.x
> libs
> to /usr/lib and it's worked !!! but be carfull and dont overwrite any
> library , and make sure the libs links is correct and it will work.
>
> so why the KDE compat libs install it self in a directory not recognized by
> the applications that using them ?
> I am sure every one will be very happy when he see the KDE program he write
> befy a few months or years work in KDE 3.1 !! I wish this was true and easy.
>
> Hasanen.

Well, there is absolutely no way to have binary compatability across
major KDE releases, as QT breaks bin-compat (kde 1.x = qt1, kde 2.x=qt2,
kde3.x = qt3).  Now that that's out of the way, correctly setting up the
compat libs so that programs "just work" is the job of the distribution,
not KDE, in the same way that KDE does not ship binaries, just source.
Also, I am living proof that taking old programs and simplly porting
them to the latest version is actually quite simple, and highly
recommended if you have even a little amount of time and minisule
programming ability (i.e., me).  And finally, bin-compat is *not* broken
across "minor" releases, that is, from 3.0.x to 3.1.x, *everything*
should work, and if it doesn't, then it's a bug that should be reported
post haste.

Hope that helps, and have a splendid day!

D.A.Bishop