List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kmail usability with IMAP
From:       Rob Kaper <cap () capsi ! com>
Date:       2002-08-01 14:58:36

On Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 04:23:43PM +0200, Michael Häckel wrote:
> Besides that, don't you actually want to download your mails store them
> locally and delete them from the server when you have them on your local
> computer? This is not what caching is about but again something completely
> different. With caching you never have any messages locally that are not
> also on the server.

To clarify: what Zack and I are willing to implement for 3.2 will be indeed
that: the *option* to cache messages for off-line reading (and bandwidth
decrease for those with small pipes and large drives). Unfortunately the
term "download" was not interpreted the same by all of us which probably
added to the confusion.

Michael, the only reason I sent critism to the list was because I was under
the impression that everyone opposed to it. Since this is not at all the
case, let's not have any hard feelings and just be glad that Zack has been
joining KMail development and that I will begin scratching my own itches
after 3.1.

Don: I'm sorry that you felt I was rude. I respect the work that has been
done on KMail and IMAP, even though it does not seem to be in a state yet
where it can truly satisfy me (in fact, I still often switch back and forth
to mutt because of this). But indeed, Michael is not to blame for that, his
time is probably limited as well and he is not obligated to scratch my
itches.

I hope you would still welcome IMAP contributions by me for KDE 3.2. :-)

Rob
--
Rob Kaper     | Gimme some love, gimme some skin,
cap@capsi.com | if we ain't got that then we ain't got much