List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kmail usability with IMAP
From:       Unai Garro <Unai.Garro () ee ! ed ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2002-07-30 17:56:32

>Sorry if I have to laugh here, but there is no security difference between
>IMAP and POP3.
>There might be a security problem with a certain POP3 server but definitely
>not with the protocol as such.

Maybe I didn't explain properly. The problem is not the protocol itself. I'm
only allowed to read e-mail through IMAP using SSL, and the previous pop3
(not a secure pop server)  server was discontinued.

>As already said by other people the purpose of IMAP is to leave the mails on
>the server and not to download them. If you want to download them you should
>use POP3.

Don't I explain myself clear enough?!??!? I DON'T have the chance to choose
between a pop server or an imap server, I'm not an administrator, just a
client! .

I have just the chance to choose mail clients, and it seems that kmail does
not prove to be the best one, even if I thought previously it was.
Have a look at mozilla for example, or any other advanced e-mail clients, they
usually have a cache so that offline e-mail browsing is possible. One thing
is the default use of a protocol, another thing is flexibility of the tools
to change to a better behaviour.

What's the point of downloading a 2MB e-mail every time you need to read it?
That's crap, to be honest. IMAP has good things, but also quite bad things if
the client is not ready enough.

> If you absolutely want to download them viayou can use
>fetchmail together with KMail.

Nope, I'm switching to mozilla definetely.