List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: XML and UI
From:       Eric Laffoon <sequitur () easystreet ! com>
Date:       2002-07-30 5:57:00

On Friday 26 July 2002 11:00 am, Stephan Hermann wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> the thread with Pupeno brings to another idea.
> What about building a complete window ui in XML and generating it
> dynamically after compiling the code ?
>
> If I'm looking through the "XML" files qt designer is generating, it must
> be an easy way to build e.g. a dialog window dynamically.
> Also connecting signals to slots must be easy.
>
> At least I could be wrong, but is it possible ?
>
> \sh
>

> - --
> St. Hermann, Troisdorf
> One solution for a simple problem: A7 B4 C2 D5 E8 F1 G3 H6

Hi,
you might want to look at Kaptain (kaptain.sourceforge.net) if what you are
looking for is the ability to create dialogs on the fly that do not have to
be compiled. It's a pretty slick program. We are working on getting the
QT3/KDE3 version 0.7 ready to go now. I have been trying to get a hold of the
author Terek Zsolt recently to talk about Kaptain and see if he wants more
help maintaining it. Right now we are setting it up to run with KDE widgets
as it can be either a KDE or QT program.

Kaptain uses a real easy object language and does some automatic layout based
on the relationships you specify between widgets. I believe that Terek had
said he was working to abstract it so that it could be made to interface with
compiled programs as a script dialog engine and it could use XML instead of
the current language. We intend to look into this.

Actually once I had it ready for release I wanted to present it here. It gives
the ability to include a quick and easy scripting facility to any program as
well as a stand alone dialog for CLI. The new version can go beyond just
shelling out. It has the ability as a QT app to communicate live with it's
widgets using pipes or TCP. Obviously we want to be sure the KDE version
takes full advantage of DCOP.

Kaptain is very cool. I used it to manage large PHP classes in Quanta. I would
say the ability to build complex dialogs that can shell out to any executable
or script has proven far more valuable than I ever would have imagined. I
think this could function as an incredibly exciting "application glue" for
KDE.

Cheers

Eric Laffoon
Quanta Plus project manager