List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: problems with KTrader + audio/x-vorbis
From:       Gioele Barabucci <ml () gioelebarabucci ! com>
Date:       2002-07-29 19:48:22

On Monday 29 July 2002 16:15, David Faure wrote:
> Yes, both are equivalent.
> But the .desktop file standard talks about MimeType, not about
> ServiceTypes.
>
> > So we should move allo the MimeType + ";" entries to ServiceTypes + ",".
>
> This would prevent our .desktop files from working in e.g. gnome.
>
> If you want to change the .desktop file standard, see the xdg-list
> (freedesktop.org)
I'm getting mad: from the .desktop spec
"historically this has been a comma separated list. This is inconsistent with
other lists which are separated by a semicolon. When reading a pre-1.0
desktop entry, comma separated lists should continue to be supported."

So lists should be separated by semicolons [;] and not by commas [,]...
I'd like to fix this all, but I want to be sure about what to fix:
1) make the standard specify that comma is the standard delimiter for lists
and modify all the lists that are using semicolons
2) convert all the lists to ";" (right now ServiceTypes is not conform to the
standard) and modify parsing in related classes

I really prefer the first one

I really prefer

--
Gioele Barabucci (Gb])