List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: How about SapDB as official KDE Database ?
From:       Daniel Molkentin <molkentin () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-07-21 20:57:48

On Sunday 21 July 2002 21:26, Juergen Sauer wrote:
>Moin,
>how about integrating SapDB as official KDE Database ?

Although Sap DB is certainly nice, I see no need for _the_ KDE Database.
People should be able to choose whatever they want.

There are different needs wrt to Databases. As a frondend, we have Kexi in the
CVS. It is supposed to become a database indenpendant frontend a la Access.

A typical user probably wants to use the personal edition of mysql4 as backend
(when it becomes stable, which should be around the time of a stable Kexi
Release), as it is quite tiny and convinient for a standalone application.

When you access bold Database servers, I agree that SAP DB as backend is a
very good alternative, if not _the coice_  (ok, I'm biased ;). You will
certainly want that in a corporate environment or when dealing with complex
data structures.

>1. GPL-Licenced by SAP, OpenSource See: http://www.sapdb.org

I am aware of that :)

>2. performant, fast Enterprise Ready, already used in it's "commercial
>past" as SAP/R3 Backbone. There are plenyty and tons of running
>installations out there. Mostly in big SAP/R3 sites or as WebDB backend.

But (as of not), quite hard to install, but I am convinced that will change
soon.

>4. All needed call interfaces are supported:
>	- QT3 SQLDriver Plugin (works fine!) (see: http://sapdb.automatix.de)

Is it (L)GPL? In this case it should either be shipped with Qt or we should
consider to ship it with KDE, if you agree to maintain it inside KDE CVS.
I'll be glad to assist you in maintainance.

>7. Full featured. Transaction Logs, Stored Procedures

That is one of the main arguments for SAP DB, along with the incremential
backup.

>10. designed for 24h/365 Days operation

Every serious DB should be :)

>13. additional tools for Windoze

Is there something like those for Linux yet?

Cheers,

</daniel>

- --
Daniel Molkentin <molkentin@kde.org> | The K Desktop Environment