List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: qt-copy tries to strip the html directory
From:       Matthias Posseldt <matthi () gmx ! li>
Date:       2002-07-21 9:19:07

On Saturday 20 July 2002 22:47, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> On Freitag, 19. Juli 2002 23:01, Unai Garro wrote:
> > I guess you can e-mail kde-core-devel, but they will have probably
> > noticed it already (it's quite obvious). Actually I downloaded qt from
> > trolltech, and such problem does not exist. It's just in qt-copy that
> > I found out.
>
> If the error is not in Trolltech's, then yes, bug kde-core-devel
> (especially as it is a compile error.)

I downloaded Trolltech's qt-3.0.5 tar file and it had the same error,
trying to strip the html directory. So I think it is Trolltech's bug.

> > Anyway, as it says in http://developer.kde.org/build/compile_cvs.html
> > , you should not use "make install" (Can anyone explain me why?).
> >
> > I quote: "Unlike most compiled software, Qt is compiled in the place
> > where it will stay instead of using a 'make install'. Please read the
> > INSTALL instructions in the Qt package. " AFAIK, in that file, it says
> > to use make install :))
>
> I suppose that the text was made for KDE2. KDE 3 should allow "make
> install".

For QT3 I use 'configure <other options> -prefix /usr/local/qt' and 'make
QTDIR=/path/to/builddir symlinks sub-src sub-tools qt.install'. It works
without building the tutorials and copies all needed files to
/usr/local/qt.

> Have a nice day/evening/night!
>
> > >When I compile the latest qt-copy, I get an error when doing
> > >'make install'. It tries to strip the directory that contains the
> > > html help, which obviously doesn't make much sense and fails with:
> > >
> > >strip "/usr/lib/qt-copy-20020719/doc/html/"
> > >strip: /usr/lib/qt-copy-20020719/doc/html/: Is a directory
> > >make[2]: *** [install_docs] Error 1
> > >make[2]: Leaving directory `/mnt/lfs/usr/src/cvs/kde/qt-copy/src'
> > >make[1]: *** [src-install] Error 2
> > >make[1]: Leaving directory `/mnt/lfs/usr/src/cvs/kde/qt-copy'
> > >make: *** [install] Error 2
> > >
> > >When I look into src/Makefile, I find this line:
> > >
> > >        strip "$(INSTALL_ROOT)/usr/lib/qt-copy-20020719/doc/html/"
> > >
> > >After removing this line and two other ones that just look the same,
> > >installation works.
> > >Should I report this to the trolls?

Should be reported then.

Ciao, Matthias