List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Adding an application to KDE
From:       Aurélien_Gâteau <aurelien.gateau () mail ! dotcom ! fr>
Date:       2002-07-15 22:26:26

David Faure wrote:
> Well, I think the KBear case is a bit different.
[snip]

> Yet another image viewer, on the other hand, doesn't sound really useful to KDE on
> the whole. I have no doubt that the gwenview users are happy about it, but I don't
> see how to justify the additional work for documenters and translators (that's the
> point of having the app in the KDE CVS, isn't it? Otherwise sourceforge does the
> job, doesn't it?).

I agree with you : KBear is an application that deserves to be in KDE
because it brings lots of new features, while Gwenview on the other hand
can be seen as you said it as "Yet another image viewer".

When I started this thread I wanted to know the opinion of others about
this, especially since Kuickshow was already there. I also never heard
about KDE Extra Gear at the time of the first message and discovered it
in the KBear thread below.

After reading a few messages about KDE Extra Gear, I think this is good
place for Gwenview because (I hope) it will be available to more users
and I will get more feedback, without bloating KDE (something I do not
want to do). Quoting the definition of KDE Extra Gear :

<< applications that are considered "good enough" and stable will be
allowed, no restrictions on duplicates or usefullness to a larger
audience (so we can disallow duplicates in all other modules) >>

(http://news.gmane.org/article.php?id=44&group=gmane.comp.kde.promotion)

> The features that gwenview users are happy about, should simply
> be added to kuickshow, if Carsten agrees with that. Hmm, reading back, it seems
> the main point of disagreement between the two authors is related to using
> dock windows or not. So it's a usability issue rather than a technical issue,
> I guess. Maybe the usability people could test both and comment on this?

Problem is : the two applications simply don't have the same
"philosophy". They basically do the same thing, but in very different
ways. Some users will prefer Kuickshow way, others will prefer Gwenview
way. The "docked windows" thing is a very sensible issue, you either
love or hate it :-). The only possible way would be to let the user
choose if he wants a docked or a fixed interface, but that would be a
bit overkill, IMO.

Anyway, It would be nice to have the usability people test both apps and
give their feedback about them.

> This is very similar to the "4 CD burners" issue. Not that I want to stir that one
> up again... but IMHO we should try to avoid putting ourselves in the same mess
> yet another time.

I think KDE Extra Gear was created to address this issue. My aim is not
to make Gwenview the default image viewer of KDE at any cost, I just
want it to get more visibility, because I think it deserves it and
because I just love when people send me feedback and bug reports :-)

Regards,

   Aurélien