List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: About KDE scripting architecture.
From:       Dominique Devriese <fritmebufstek () pandora ! be>
Date:       2002-07-11 22:39:42

Koos Vriezen <koos.vriezen@xs4all.nl> writes:

> Hi Zack,
>
> I've read some of the postings today about calling function of a KDE app
> from a script.
>
> I've build the LiveConnectExtension for KParts for khtml (see
> kdelibs/kparts/browserextension.h).
> I also couldn't find a way to use DCOP for event (signal) handling,
> without knowing it's exact signature in advance. Not to mention the
> security problems exposing DCOP to a javascript in from a web page.

Hi again,
it seems we are mixing three types of scripting here:
1 scripting from html ( what your LiveConnect is about, if i read this
correctly... )
2 out-of-process scripting, meant as a way of extending an
application, similar to plugins.. ( what geiseri's KScript is about )
3 user-visible scripting, meant as an alternative to point'n'click
(what i was talking about in other mails.. )
Of course there are similarities, but the distinction should be made.
1 implies security considerations, whereas 2 and 3 don't have those,
and stuff like that...
(Just to keep the discussion logical, and to not start mixing
things...
bye
domi

--