Am Donnerstag, 11. Juli 2002 23:14 schrieb Jesse Barnes: > On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 10:16:38PM +0200, Marcus Camen wrote: > > Thanks for the list of patches. Maybe we should found a > > "KDE3-MipsPro-Compile-Club" as we (not suprisingly) all face the > > same namespace problems... > > ... and even have the same fixes for them ;-)) > > I think most of them are ok to go into CVS too, but I did hear a rumor > awhile back that other compilers broke with the namespace bug > workaround in place... Hehe. About 1-2 month ago I initiated a litte discussion on=20 kde-core-devel and kde-nonlinux rearding these namespace patches. The short answer is that it was decided not to put these into CVS. > > > o kcontrol/background/Makefile.am:11, moved $(LIB_KFILE) to the > > > end of the line to fix a link problem > > > o kcontrol/kdm/Makefile.am:8, moved $(LIB_KIO) to the end of the > > > line to fix a link problem > > > > I am not an auto* guru. But maybe we can put this into CVS, no? > > Can these changes break other platforms? > > I think these ones are fine to go into CVS. The IRIX linker is just a > little picker about link order than the GNU one. ACK. If nobody object within the next few days I will test the Makefile fixes on Linux (I do not expect any problems, but who knows...) and commit them to CVS. > > > o khelpcenter/khc_infohierarchymaker.cc, find_if, bind1st and > > > bind2nd undefined, didn't compile khelpcenter > > > > I played a litte bit with the Makefile and somehow managed to > > compile this. For me khelpcenter does work but the help ioslave > > inside it does not. And yes, I do have the right versions of libxml2 > > and libxslt. > > What do those functions refer to? What did you have to change in the > makefiles? I think I didn't have any problems with find_if, bind1st and bind2nd but=20 only with the Makefile. I will look that up in my office tomorrow. > > You you give as a bit information on the type (-o32, -n32, -n64) and > > the size of the generated files? IMHO the libs and binaries (-n32) > > are really huge campared to Linux. I do not have the numbers here > > ATM but I can look them up if you like. > > Sure, here are the sizes for some of the big libraries (I compiled > with --no-debug). > [jbarnes@spamtin lib]$ ls -Slh > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root sys 15M Jul 8 15:31 libkio.so.5.0 > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root sys 10M Jul 8 16:06 libkhtml.so.5.0 > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root sys 5.8M Jul 8 15:28 libkdeui.so.5.0 > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root sys 5.2M Jul 8 17:40 kicker.so > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root sys 4.0M Jul 8 15:27 > libkdecore.so.5.0 > > Seem pretty big to me too. Just a wild guess: Maybe the linker links more symbols into the libraries=20 than necessary? > I'll bet that the optimization level has a > big effect on binary size, but I'm not gonna recompile with -O1 -O2 > -O3 just to find out :) (well, unless I can get some time on an O3k > with >16p). I build with -O2. I don't see much differece in filesizes compared to your numbers. To build KDE3 I use a 32 processor, 16 GB RAM Origin. But I am also root on an O3k (sorry, I do not recall the number of processors right know -- something between 10 and 100). :-)))))) Multiple processors do not help that much with KDE but I really couldn't believe how fast QT compiled using all 32 CPUs. :-)) > > Do have any idea of new MipsPro versions without these namespace > > bug? > > I know they're working on the new version now, but I don't know what > the exact release date will be. Maybe sometime in the Fall? > > > Do you intend to try to compile an alpha of KDE3.1? > > Sure, if I get time I'll give it a try. Hehe. And again we share the same problem... =2D-=20 Marcus Camen >> Visit http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-devel#unsub to unsubscribe <<