List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE 3.0.2 on IRIX
From:       Jesse Barnes <jbarnes () sgi ! com>
Date:       2002-07-11 21:14:54

On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 10:16:38PM +0200, Marcus Camen wrote:
> Thanks for the list of patches. Maybe we should found a
> "KDE3-MipsPro-Compile-Club" as we (not suprisingly) all face the same
> namespace problems...
> ... and even have the same fixes for them   ;-))

I think most of them are ok to go into CVS too, but I did hear a rumor
awhile back that other compilers broke with the namespace bug
workaround in place...

> > o kcontrol/background/Makefile.am:11, moved $(LIB_KFILE) to the end of
> >   the line to fix a link problem
> > o kcontrol/kdm/Makefile.am:8, moved $(LIB_KIO) to the end of the line
> >   to fix a link problem
>
> I am not an auto* guru. But maybe we can put this into CVS, no?
> Can these changes break other platforms?

I think these ones are fine to go into CVS.  The IRIX linker is just a little
picker about link order than the GNU one.

> > o khelpcenter/khc_infohierarchymaker.cc, find_if, bind1st and bind2nd
> >   undefined, didn't compile khelpcenter
>
> I played a litte bit with the Makefile and somehow managed to compile
> this. For me khelpcenter does work but the help ioslave inside it
> does not. And yes, I do have the right versions of libxml2 and libxslt.

What do those functions refer to?  What did you have to change in the
makefiles?

> > o konsole/konsole/Makefile.am:32, moved $(LIB_KPARTS) to the end of
> >   the line to fix a link problem
> > o konsole/konsole/Makefile.am:53, moved $(LIB_KDEUI) to the end of
> >   the line to fix a link problem
>
> CVS ?

I vote for it.

> > o kpersonalizer/keyecandypagedlg.cpp:20, added '#include
> >   <klistview.h>' since KListView wasn't defined.
>
> This a generated file. As I can see you use qt3.0.3. I don't
> get this error with KDE 3.0.1 / qt3.0.4. Maybe a QT bug?

Hmm... I'll have to try upgrading my qt.

> You you give as a bit information on the type (-o32, -n32, -n64) and the
> size of the generated files? IMHO the libs and binaries (-n32) are
> really huge campared to Linux. I do not have the numbers here ATM but I
> can look them up if you like.

Sure, here are the sizes for some of the big libraries (I compiled
with --no-debug).
[jbarnes@spamtin lib]$ ls -Slh
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     sys           15M Jul  8 15:31 libkio.so.5.0
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     sys           10M Jul  8 16:06 libkhtml.so.5.0
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     sys          5.8M Jul  8 15:28 libkdeui.so.5.0
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     sys          5.2M Jul  8 17:40 kicker.so
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     sys          4.0M Jul  8 15:27 libkdecore.so.5.0

Seem pretty big to me too.  I'll bet that the optimization level has a
big effect on binary size, but I'm not gonna recompile with -O1 -O2
-O3 just to find out :) (well, unless I can get some time on an O3k
with >16p).

> Do have any idea of new MipsPro versions without these namespace bug?

I know they're working on the new version now, but I don't know what
the exact release date will be.  Maybe sometime in the Fall?

> Do you intend to try to compile an alpha of KDE3.1?

Sure, if I get time I'll give it a try.

Jesse