List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Documentation and CVS access
From:       Karl Robillard <karl-robillard () cox ! net>
Date:       2002-07-09 21:18:22

Here are some inconveniences I encountered as I was going about obtaining CVS
access to the KDE repository.

It was mentioned that I should read the Developer's HOWTO. From
http://developer.kde.org/ there is a link to 'HOWTOs and FAQs'.  However, the
Developer's HOWTO is not listed there, but rather on the Tutorials page.

It took me a while to find out to encrypt my CVS password since this is
documented in the section called "Mailing lists" and I was foolishly looking
in the "2. KDE CVS" chapter of the Developer's HOWTO.

So finally I found this: perl -e print\ crypt\('passwd','sa'\)\.\"\\n\"
But when I tried to encrypt my password it did not work.  I played with it a
bit and found these behaviors:

  1. It doesn't seem to work with passwords starting with a number.
    Bareword found where operator expected at -e line 1, near "2passwd"

  2. It doesn't work when the two random characters are 'qq' or 'qw'.
    Can't find string terminator ")" anywhere before EOF at -e line 1.

Are these things the perl command should handle?
I'm thinking the CVS access documentation should be moved to a new section in
the HOWTO (2.2 Gaining Access), and the invalid conditions noted.  I would be
happy to change the docs in CVS.

-Karl