List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: kfind - another issue
From:       aleXXX <alexander.neundorf () gmx ! net>
Date:       2002-07-06 11:45:22

On Saturday 06 July 2002 08:07, Ferdinand Gassauer wrote:
> On Saturday 06 July 2002 04:51, Malte Starostik wrote:
>
> specifying an extension (*.kwd) AND a file type can easyly result in
> contradiction.

I never specified a type until now. But it is perfectly ok to search for all
kword files matching "a*".

> As this 2 critaria sit on 2 tabs it's not so obvious to detect, why no
> results are displayed.
> please check for consitentcy of the criteria or at least move the filetype
> selection on the name/location  tab.

Maybe. Other opinions ?
It would make the advanced tab less cluttered (currently 5 rows) and the
"normal" tab would have then also 4 rows.

Can the "Metainfo" tab please be made more userfriendly ?
It's hard to understand, the tooltips help a bit, but not that much.
Maybe this way:

"Search in metainfo section:"  def.content: *  "for:"  def. content: <empty>

Maybe both fit in one row.

And maybe this could be combined with the file type combo box, and given the
specified file type maybe the possible metainfo sections could be represented
as a combo box (I don't know if this is possible).

So tab 2 "Date range" could become "File properties"

"find all files..."
   between
   during
file size
owner              -> makes 5 rows

and tab 3 "Advanced" could become "File contents"

type
containing text
regexp
metainfo           -> makes 4 rows

and the 4th tab would go away

The tab title "Metainfo" (even located after the "Advanced" tab -> even more
advanced ?) might scare users away, I'm afraid.

Bye
Alex

please CC to me from kde-usability, I'm not subscribed