List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Announce: access samba shares with non-KDE apps (read: xmms, mplayer, gnome, OpenOffice, ...)
From:       aleXXX <alexander.neundorf () gmx ! net>
Date:       2002-07-01 21:09:49

Hi,

since some days kdeaddons/konq-plugins/ contains a "smbmounter" plugin.
Many users reported to me, that they would like to access samba shares also
from non-KDE apps.
With the new plugin it is very easy to mount and umount smb shares from
within konqy.

Browse your network using the lan:/ or smbro ioslave, and when you are
"inside" a smb share, you can mount/umount the current share via
Tools->smb(u)mount.
This depends on the current smbro ioslave, since the mounting is done by the
special() function.
The shares will be mounted under ~/smb_network/hostname/sharename/.

Therefor smbmount and smbumount have to be installed setuid root. If you
don't like this, don't use this plugin.

If you have problems, wishes, suggestions, let me know.

Bye
Alex