List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Screensavers
From:       Karl Robillard <karl-robillard () cox ! net>
Date:       2002-06-28 21:30:32

I'm porting an OpenGL Windows screensaver to KDE and I have a few questions.

What is the status of KDE screensavers?
It seems like the same few boring savers have been part of KDE for years.
Is there some reason that no one writes KDE screensavers?

Xscreensaver author Jamie Zawinski seems to think there are problems with KDE
screensavers, but in his 2002-04-03 post to this list he doesn't really
explain what those problems are (why are multiple configuration tools are
bad?)  What are the issues here?  I've looked briefly at the GTK xscreensaver
setup tool shipped with RedHat 7.3 and there doesn't seem to be any GUI
configuration for the savers - you just type command line arguments in a
string widget.  This doesn't seem suitable for either desktop project
(GNOME/KDE).

How do I get my savers into the official KDE CVS tree?

I didn't find any documentation on 'How to write a KDE screensaver'.  Does
such a document exist?

Lastly, my saver runs fine in the preview window and in my setup dialog.  When
it runs fullscreen using the 'Test' button or in 'real' saver mode, however,
the display just has weird artifacts while the saver is running.  I'm using
this code to create the saver, where FluxWidget is derived from QGLWidget:

KFluxScreenSaver::KFluxScreenSaver( WId id ) : KScreenSaver( id )
{
    readSettings();
    _flux = new FluxWidget;
    embed( _flux );