List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Lost all KControl modules
From:       Irwin K <emerald-arcana () rogers ! com>
Date:       2002-06-27 4:49:06

Background information:

I installed KDE in a directory (/opt/kde3) under my own user (irwink).  The
version of KDE is 3.0.0, compiled from source using gcc 3.0.1.

Okay, here's the problem description.

I was playing around with my KMenu and decided that I didn't want the
"Preferences" menu in my KMenu because it was taking up space.  So I deleted
it.

When I went to try to customize my KDE settings, my KControl modules came up
entirely empty.  Thinking that there was some sort of legacy setting in my
settings (I upgraded from KDE 2) I wiped my .kde and .kderc files in my home
directory.

Right now, my KMenu comes up entirely empty and I cannot get any kcontrol
modules.  Other users on my system have no modules or Kmenus either, leading
me to think that what I did as my user somehow affected the system-wide
settings.

The error messages appear at the end of the message.

~~

1) How can I fix this, short of reinstalling?  (I'm recompiling right now, but
it's taking time, and I'd like to know a workaround in case I run into this
again.).

2) Why is this allowed?  I don't think that anything that anyone does as a
local user to the KMenu (as user, as root, or otherwise) should be able to
affect the "global KDE settings".  If 'root' doesn't like the order of his
KMenu, deleting an item shouldn't affect every other user, or the "default
global profile" either.  Basically, if you're root, and you delete the KMenu
"Preferences" menu, it should affect ONLY what's in your $HOME/.kde
directory, and nothing in the $KDEDIR directory.  The story should be similar
if you're a user installing KDE into their home directory at work;
menu-editing should affect $HOME.kde (personal settings) anot should not
affect anything in $KDEDIR (even if you have write permissions)

I can understand why someone would want to blame me for installing KDE as a
local user.  However I don't think the fault lies in me, and I think it's a
poblem with the design.  I didn't go around deleting everything in
$KDEDIR/share, after all: I simply made some rather (at the time) reasonable
modifications to my user preferences.  I don't think deleting items from the
KMenu should break the system like this.  I definitely don't think anything a
user does in casual customization should affect anything in the $KDEDIR
directory.  All of the settings should be localized to a user's home
directory.

I didn't log a bug because it appeared to have been logged before in KDE
2.2.2, but I'm not convinced that it's entirely fixed.  I'm going to install
KDE 3.0.1 and try to reproduce the bug.

~~
Error messages below.

[irwink@sapphire] - Mon Jun 24 23:15:22
[/opt/kde3/share]$ kcontrol
kcontrol: WARNING: No K menu group with X-KDE-BaseGroup=settings found !
Defaulting to Settings/
[irwink@sapphire] - Mon Jun 24 23:15:59
[/opt/kde3/share]$

I get the KControl window, but nothing shows up on the side.

Similarly if I type:

[irwink@sapphire] - Mon Jun 24 23:16:23
[/opt/kde3/share]$ kcmshell konqueror
kcmshell: WARNING: No K menu group with X-KDE-BaseGroup=settings found !
Defaulting to Settings/
kdecore (KLibLoader): library=kcm_libkonqueror.la: No file names
kcm_libkonqueror.la found in paths.
kcmshell: Unable to load module using ComponentFactory! Falling back to old
loader.
kdecore (KLibLoader): library=kcm_libkonqueror.la: No file names
kcm_libkonqueror.la found in paths.
kdecore (KLibLoader): library=libkcm_libkonqueror.la: No file names
libkcm_libkonqueror.la found in paths.
kcmshell: Unable to load module using ComponentFactory! Falling back to old
loader.
kdecore (KLibLoader): library=libkcm_libkonqueror.la: No file names
libkcm_libkonqueror.la found in paths.
[irwink@sapphire] - Mon Jun 24 23:16:32
[/opt/kde3/share]$

--