Background information: I installed KDE in a directory (/opt/kde3) under my own user (irwink). T= he=20 version of KDE is 3.0.0, compiled from source using gcc 3.0.1. Okay, here's the problem description. I was playing around with my KMenu and decided that I didn't want the=20 "Preferences" menu in my KMenu because it was taking up space. So I dele= ted=20 it. When I went to try to customize my KDE settings, my KControl modules came= up=20 entirely empty. Thinking that there was some sort of legacy setting in m= y=20 settings (I upgraded from KDE 2) I wiped my .kde and .kderc files in my h= ome=20 directory. Right now, my KMenu comes up entirely empty and I cannot get any kcontrol= =20 modules. Other users on my system have no modules or Kmenus either, lead= ing=20 me to think that what I did as my user somehow affected the system-wide=20 settings. The error messages appear at the end of the message. ~~ 1) How can I fix this, short of reinstalling? (I'm recompiling right now= , but=20 it's taking time, and I'd like to know a workaround in case I run into th= is=20 again.). 2) Why is this allowed? I don't think that anything that anyone does as = a=20 local user to the KMenu (as user, as root, or otherwise) should be able t= o=20 affect the "global KDE settings". If 'root' doesn't like the order of hi= s=20 KMenu, deleting an item shouldn't affect every other user, or the "defaul= t=20 global profile" either. Basically, if you're root, and you delete the KM= enu=20 "Preferences" menu, it should affect ONLY what's in your $HOME/.kde=20 directory, and nothing in the $KDEDIR directory. The story should be sim= ilar=20 if you're a user installing KDE into their home directory at work;=20 menu-editing should affect $HOME.kde (personal settings) anot should not=20 affect anything in $KDEDIR (even if you have write permissions) I can understand why someone would want to blame me for installing KDE as= a=20 local user. However I don't think the fault lies in me, and I think it's= a=20 poblem with the design. I didn't go around deleting everything in=20 $KDEDIR/share, after all: I simply made some rather (at the time) reasona= ble=20 modifications to my user preferences. I don't think deleting items from = the=20 KMenu should break the system like this. I definitely don't think anythi= ng a=20 user does in casual customization should affect anything in the $KDEDIR=20 directory. All of the settings should be localized to a user's home=20 directory. I didn't log a bug because it appeared to have been logged before in KDE=20 2.2.2, but I'm not convinced that it's entirely fixed. I'm going to inst= all=20 KDE 3.0.1 and try to reproduce the bug. ~~ Error messages below. [irwink@sapphire] - Mon Jun 24 23:15:22 [/opt/kde3/share]$ kcontrol kcontrol: WARNING: No K menu group with X-KDE-BaseGroup=3Dsettings found = !=20 Defaulting to Settings/ [irwink@sapphire] - Mon Jun 24 23:15:59 [/opt/kde3/share]$=20 I get the KControl window, but nothing shows up on the side. Similarly if I type: [irwink@sapphire] - Mon Jun 24 23:16:23 [/opt/kde3/share]$ kcmshell konqueror kcmshell: WARNING: No K menu group with X-KDE-BaseGroup=3Dsettings found = !=20 Defaulting to Settings/ kdecore (KLibLoader): library=3Dkcm_libkonqueror.la: No file names=20 kcm_libkonqueror.la found in paths. kcmshell: Unable to load module using ComponentFactory! Falling back to o= ld=20 loader. kdecore (KLibLoader): library=3Dkcm_libkonqueror.la: No file names=20 kcm_libkonqueror.la found in paths. kdecore (KLibLoader): library=3Dlibkcm_libkonqueror.la: No file names=20 libkcm_libkonqueror.la found in paths. kcmshell: Unable to load module using ComponentFactory! Falling back to o= ld=20 loader. kdecore (KLibLoader): library=3Dlibkcm_libkonqueror.la: No file names=20 libkcm_libkonqueror.la found in paths. [irwink@sapphire] - Mon Jun 24 23:16:32 [/opt/kde3/share]$=20 --=20 -- Arcana (Irwin) >> Visit http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-devel#unsub to unsubscribe <<