List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Java and auto-proxy doesn't work
From:       Till Krech <till () snafu ! de>
Date:       2002-06-26 22:44:29

On Thursday 27 June 2002 00:10, Malte Starostik wrote:

> > > If there's no objection, could you then implement that as a temporary
> > > solution?
> >
> > Could you please try the attached (stupid) patch and look if it works
> > with your proxy script. Didn't know how to get the applet/page url in
> > this context, so I just took a non existing dummy url which should
> > trigger the correct proxy for external urls.
> > greetings, till
>
> Ah, so you can only tell the JVM about the proxy once without such a
> protocol handler?
Yes. That's right. I could however enhance the java applet server protocol and
allow setting of the proxy when it runs. But when it is set, it applies to
all URLs currently beeing loaded.
> If so, such a handler would be the only viable long-term
> solution.
Right. But it could be a medium-term solution if someone knew better than me
how to implement it effectively. As I said: I only want little wrappers.
Maintaining the functionality of the existing handlers but exchanging the
connection - without dependencies on internal java classes (com.sun...).
> Your patch might work for some scripts but not others.
I know. It is only a workaround and it should at least work better than the
previous solution proxyFor(protocol), where no proxy was returned when using
a pac script. I assume that, with the patch, it will work for 95 % of all
scripts. If it would be a clean solution, I would have commited it.
> Some
> scripts are rather sophisticated and return different a number proxies
> based on the real URL. Some even implement client-side proxy load balancing
> with such scripts. Using a non-existent host in a dummy URL might also fail
> since some scripts check the host name if it resolves.
Then it would perhaps be better to use an existing url.

greetings, till

--
SuSE Linux 8.0 (i386) 2.4.18-64GB-SMP
KDE: 3.0.5 (CVS HEAD >= 20020427)