List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: RTL and KDE vs. QT
From:       Allan Sandfeld Jensen <snowwolf () one2one-networks ! com>
Date:       2002-06-26 12:18:57

On Wednesday 26 June 2002 13:27, David Faure wrote:
> On Wednesday 26 June 2002 17:46, Arash Zeini wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > After testing different applications with Farsi, we have found that the
> > level of support for RTL and BiDi differs from appplication to
> > application.
> >
> > KEdit, KBabel and KMail have it implemented best.
>
> Did you try KWord? ;-)
>
> > It is almost not working in Kate.
> > Is there any specific guideline or recommendation on how to implement and
> > support BiDi and RTL in KDE applications? Is the problem solved in Qt or
> > KDE level?
>
> Mostly Qt. But KDE apps which implement their own text layout stuff need
> to reimplement/reuse Qt's mechanism.
>
> > Having a recommendation (a HOWTO?) on how to BiDi enable KDE (and Qt)
> > applications would help very much to unify the approach.
>
> For KWord I based everything on Qt's approach.

I have testet various application in reverse-english. There is a few KDE
widgets that currently needs work. Especially the trees used in kcontrol,
kmail and konqueror, and the kmenu in kicker. The rest of the problems I have
encountered have been very easy to fix.

If we can get the reverse kmenu done, we could also use it for LTR languages
in case the user moves the kmenu to right edge of kicker. I know a left
handed KDE-user who places it there for convinience, but it looks really bad
with all the arrows pointing in the wrong direction. (for RTL languages the
layout of buttons, kmenu and clock in kicker should also be reversed)