List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Upgrading compiler
From:       Allan Sandfeld Jensen <snowwolf () one2one-networks ! com>
Date:       2002-06-25 10:03:35

On Tuesday 25 June 2002 01:58, John Gluck wrote:
> Hi
>
> Yes there are issues in compiler upgrading. The gcc web site will provide
> info on how the compiler upgrade should be done.
>
> There are several possible ways to get the correct compiler to be picked
> up. One is to use the full path on invocation. There second is to change
> youre $PATH variable. The third is to simply remove the compiler you don't
> want. The fourth is through a system of soft links. There are probably
> others.
>
> If you want to compile KDE 3.1 with gcc 3.1, forget it. The official
> release of will break. I have had success with gcc 3.0.4

You've got it wrong. It is the other way around.

There is a bug in gcc 3.0.4 that breaks aRts. (some distro's has a hack to
circumvent the problem).
The bug is fixed in gcc 3.1. The only know problem with gcc 3.1 is with
netscape plugins.

In other words. The only recommended compilers for KDE are gcc 2.95, 2.96 and
3.1-series.