List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Keyboard layout switching problems in HEAD
From:       Pavel Troller <patrol () sinus ! cz>
Date:       2002-06-25 4:58:18

Hi!
  For some time I have problems with keyboard layout switching in HEAD.
  Once I click on the selection icon in the panel tray or press the switch
shortcut, it visually works (i.e. the keymap symbol changes) but it doesn't
really change the map, and what's worse, global keys (like Alt-F<n>) stop
working and if for example konsole has focus, they write strange escape
sequences there.
  The message
Error loading keymap /opt/X11/lib/X11/xkb/compiled/server-0.xkm
  is written to the Xserver log. The directory mentioned in it of course
exists and its modification date shows that something has been done there
just now.
  As a workaround, I'm changing keymaps manually by the command
xkbcomp "/opt/X11/lib/X11/xkb/keymap/xfree86(<my map choice>)" :0, which
works (I have an alias for it so it's more easy than it seems there :-) ).
Global keys of course keep working when this method is used.
  Still co-existing KDE 2 has no problems with this, as well as KDE 3.0
branch living on another machine but with identical X installation. These
two facts I feel like evidences that it's a current KDE problem.

                                      With regards, Pavel Troller