List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Addressbook - link to advance contacts ?
From:       Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-06-12 9:05:58

On Wednesday 12 June 2002 08:50, Bryan Brunton wrote:

> We all like alternatives right?  That's what KDE is about.  I really see
> nothing wrong with providing an alternative so when the user clicks on that
> little addressbook icon in KMail an alternative addressbook can be
> launched.  That is all that I would like to see happen.
>
> Why this insistence on a libkabc straight jacket?

Because there are many applications using addressbook information and they all
should use the same data. Synchronizing your addressbook with a Palm or a
mobile phone or selecting attendees for a meeting in KOrganizer are a few
examples where you would like to have the same data available as in KMail.

The only way to make sure that all apps have access to the same data is to use
a common interface to the addressbook and that's what libkabc is all about.
If you are not happy with the frontend, no problem, provide another one based
on libkabc. If you prefer to store your data in an SQL database, no problem,
write the corresponding backend for libkabc. If you think the libkabc API is
not good enough please make suggestions how to improve it.

--
Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher.kde.org>