List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: QT and key events
From:       aleXXX <alexander.neundorf () gmx ! net>
Date:       2002-06-10 21:50:30

On Sunday 09 June 2002 20:56, Sheldon Lee-Wen wrote:

> Hi,
>
>     Is there any way to get QT to return the keycode of a key that is not
> recognized? (i.e. the easy access keys on your keyboard?) Using just
> plain xlib you can get the keycodes back, however, QT will not return
> them unless they are recognized by QT.  (QT recognizes the ones from
> keysym.h I believe). I would like to use a QT solution, but it seems I
> might have to use an xlib program to do what I want it to do (i.e. capture
> these keys and assign symbols to them, then bind them to commands).
> (I'm the author of KlineakConfig). If I do have to use a c/xlib program
> to do this, how can I embed an Xlib "widget" into a KDE program?
>
> (i.e. I want an area that the user can press an easy access key over that
> gets the keycode and then lets them assign a symbol name to it, and then
> allows them to use KlineakConfig to assign commands to the symbol names.)
>
> Thanks for the help.
> Sheldon.

You can assign key symbols to the unknown key codes using xmodmap. You can
figure out the key codes using the xev tools.
You can use "xmodmap -pke > your_xmodmap_file" to get the current table.
Then you can modify it this way so that key symbols you like are assigned to
the additional key codes. You can feed the modified your_xmodmap_file back to
xmodmap executing "xmodmap your_xmodmap_file". You should this insert
somewhere where it is executed everytime X starts (xinitrc, startkde,
something else).

Bye
Alex