List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: mouse following buttons
From:       Kuba Ober <kuba () mareimbrium ! org>
Date:       2002-06-04 15:26:49

On sobota 01 czerwiec 2002 03:38 am, Jeff Roush wrote:
> Yep, it works great.  I think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread
> ... but I'm biased.  How easy it is to use depends to some extent on your
> coordination; those of us who've spent too much time playing video games
> usually have no trouble picking it up.  It does slow you down a bit, since
> you have to pause the mouse to click, so I might not use it much if I
> didn't have hand pain; but even then it comes in handy if you have a page
> with lots of things to click on.

I don't have RSI (well, I do sometimes feel like might start having it, but
luckily it's nothing persistent), but I consider mousetool an ugly hack
around a hack. RSI is bad enough, but you make it worse because people have
to *wait* to get stuff done.

Changing clicking into waiting -- for those with RSI. Now that's a good way to
advertise this misfeature :-(...

Get a foot pedal and connect it in parallel to your mouse button. You can get
two of them if you need LMB/RMB functionality. Another approach would be
blink detection. I have a very cute blink detector (it's optically isolated,
too!) that sends a space via serial port every time you double-blink
(blinking is normal behaviour, double-blinking OTOH doesn't happen all by
itself), if you'd have use for it let me know.

Cheers, Kuba Ober