List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: embedding a KPart in Konqueror
From:       fritmebufstek () pandora ! be
Date:       2002-06-01 21:52:13

On Sat, Jun 01, 2002 at 11:17:54AM -0400, Robert Charbonneau wrote:
> On June 1, 2002 02:02 am, Shaun Jackman wrote:
> > I created a KPart using kapptemplate. It is an id3 tag editor. It
> > works fine in the little shell app that kapptemplate creates. When I
> > try to use my part in Konqueror though, it crashes. My part inherits
> > from ReadWritePart. Is there anything else special I have to do to
> > make the part work with Konqueror? I've included my .desktop file and
> > the backtrace.
>
> I'm pretty sure you have to create a Konqueror plugin that uses your
> KPart.  A KPart is just a way of reusing a widget, it's not an
> automatically embeddable piece of software in Konqueror.

Lol: if there is anything you can say about a KPart, it's that it is
an "automatically embeddable piece of software in (among others)
Konqueror", and that it has nothing to do with Konqueror plugins.
I am writing a KPart app myself, and am starting to know the KPart
design better...
Basically, implementing a part means implementing a widget which can
show (ro/rw) some sort of document to the user, giving it some
actions, and telling Konqueror (and other apps) where to find it, with
a desktop file such as the one in the app...  Plugins are _totally_
different...
I don't see the point of a ID3 part though, unless you find some users
who never want to listen to a song when they click on it, but want to
see its info...
bye
domi

--