List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Latest kicker changes
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () olympusproject ! org>
Date:       2002-06-01 19:13:11

On June 1, 2002 10:11 am, Gioele Barabucci wrote:
> (I'm posting here since I could not find kicker-devel
> I used to have a fine tuned kicker...
>
> Yesterday I did a kdebase rebuild and then my kicker size was squeezed to
> "tiny" (it was ~78).

i've still got to provide a kconf-update script ... sorry ... the way the
settings were stored previously was brain-damaged, and i've fixed that along
with several other things. now i've got to automate the config updates ...

> So I tried to resize it: as someone suggested now you can resize it only it
> you select "Custom", but that brings up a dialog asking you the new size in
> pixel... new size in pixel? User are not used to guess sizes in pixels!

what else is custom if not a size in pixels? a size in inches? picas? thumbs?
degrees of redians? ;-)

but seriously, if we don't have that dialog many users will select Custom and
then be mystified when the panel just sits there at the same size. the dialog
that comes up sucks, indeed. i have a replacement for it mocked up in a .ui
file here locally but haven't gotten around to implementing it.

> OK, I wrote 78 and started playing with it until I noticed that 3 times out
> of 4 the cursor loses its standard image "<->" to become normal or a
> pointing hand.

you mean when drag-resizing it? that code hasn't changed recently and if it
isn't working, talk to whomever implement it. it's something of a hack AFAIK
and yet another reason why the dialog should be provided (and improved).

> Also kicker configuration dialog has lost 2 abilities:
> - configure handles' size

you can do this by editting the config file. it is innapropriate, however, for
the main configuration panel. where else do you set the width of a specific
button in a kde interface?

i have one other feature that is similarly "advanced" and truthfully quite
unecessary in the main GUI (hide applet handles). once i have found one more
(which i'm sure i will eventually) i'll throw them all into an advanced
dialog that will be accessable via a button in the config.

> - select different tiles for icons background (different from stock .pngs)

hrm.. i didn't notice this ability in the old config dialog.. how was that
achieved previously? AFAIK you had to put the tiles in the right directory.
that hasn't changed.

- --
Aaron J. Seigo

    - Albert Einstein