List:       kde-devel
Subject:    unicode, web browses and file names
From:       Pupeno <pupeno () pupeno ! com ! ar>
Date:       2002-05-30 6:43:13

I'm writting some web pages, they're xhtml using utf-8.
This page has links to some files wich have extended characters in their name
but I don't know if they're unicode or latin1 (I thin they aren't unicode and
that's my problem).
I have try to make the links in a lot of diferent ways obtaining diferent
types of failures:
The file name in question is:
text/lyric/Sandra Fernández - Ojos de Gato Azul.txt
1) text/lyric/Sandra%20Fern%e1ndez%20-%20Ojos%20de%20Gato%20Azul.txt
There any extended char is it's hex notation, spaces doesn't represent any
problem, but á does, since the á in the page is a á in utf-8 and the á in the
file name is an á (e1) in latin1, I think. This works on mozilla and works in
IE. But not on Konqueror, it sees that interprates the character %e1 and the
n all toghether as an unicode char or something like that because the URL
end's up being:
text/lyric/Sandra Fern�dez - Ojos de Gato Azul.txt
and the obvious error:
The requested URL /text/lyric/Sandra Fern?dez - Ojos de Gato Azul.txt was not
found on this server.
2) text/lyric/Sandra Fernández - Ojos de Gato Azul.txt
Naming just as is, I think would be the right way (if the file name was
unicode too), well, this doesn't work in any browser I have with the
following errors:
Mozilla:
Error: The requested URL /text/lyric/Sandra Fern?dez - Ojos de Gato Azul.txt
was not found on this server.
IE:
URL:/text/lyric/Sandra%20Fern?ez%20-%20Ojos%20de%20Gato%20Azul.txt
Error:The requested URL /text/lyric/Sandra Ferná ® ¤ez - Ojos de Gato Azul.txt
was not found on this server.

If I go to the file by hand (since I can see indexes in this servers) the urls
are the following:
Mozilla:/text/lyric/Sandra%20Fern%e1ndez%20-%20Ojos%20de%20Gato%20Azul.txt
Konqueror: /text/lyric/Sandra Fernández - Ojos de Gato Azul.txt
IE: /text/lyric/Sandra%20Fern%e1ndez%20-%20Ojos%20de%20Gato%20Azul.txt

Well, and when trying to download the files, in diferent browsers I get
diferent kind of weird behaviours, what am I doing wrong ? how can I do it
(not removing the extended chars from the name since they're important and
not using latin1 as the encoding for the pages) ?
Thank you.
- --
Pupeno: pupeno@pupeno.com.ar
http://www.pupeno.com.ar
PS: I've sent this messages to diferent mailing lists since it involves KDE
but also Linux in general and some general knowledge, I'm sorry if this was
to off topic