List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Using kde from HEAD.
From:       Emond Papegaaij <e.papegaaij () student ! utwente ! nl>
Date:       2002-05-27 22:02:37

On Monday 27 May 2002 23:38, Raffaele Sandrini wrote:
> On Monday 27 May 2002 21:19, Piotr Szymanski wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I have decide to start using kde from HEAD. Is there something I should
> > know before doing that?
>
> Don't do it. Use KDE 3 Branch as your "working" kde. You can expect it
> work. If you are a develpper then your are almost forced to have also a
> HEAD copy. If you want to get one do it as an own user in wich you don't
> have vital kde configuration so that u r able to delete the .kde dir at
> anytime.
>
> Use a stable Branch as working and backup copy.

I've using head for about 6 months now as my 'working' kde. Sometimes some
things are broken, but it's easy to update after a few days and just
recompile that single app. Be sure to make a backup of your old kde before
you compile a new head though. I've never had serious trouble with the .kde
dir. Sometimes I have to delete or edit a single conf file, but I've never
lost my entire .kde dir (except for an exidently rm -R /home, and a mk2efs
with the backup tar.gz still on the partition to be formatted :) )

Emond Papegaaij