List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Download manager
From:       Rolf Magnus <ramagnus () t-online ! de>
Date:       2002-05-06 15:24:08

On Monday 06 May 2002 16:52, David Faure wrote:

> This is already available - apart from the stop/resume functionality.
> Check "Show all network operations in a single window" somewhere in
> KControl, and you'll see all transfers in the same window.

That's what I think where all the download manager features should go. It'd be
IMHO a good place for it, maybe with the possibility to also start it as
stand-alone app.

> I don't think
> this should go into Konqueror's sidebar.

Me neither, it just feels like the wrong place to me.

> Anyway, back to earth, stop/resume would be rather easy to add (FileCopyJob
> has suspend()/resume() already) ... but what's the point? I understand the
> usefulness of resuming a transfer that aborted (and some metainfo about the
> original URL would indeed be useful), but what's the point in temporarily
> pausing an existing transfer? Or do I misunderstand this Stop/Resume idea?

Well, if you have a connection with low bandwidth and want to use it for
something else temporarily, this is useful. If you want to disconnect and
finish a download later (or switch the computer off and finish it the next
day), it would also - mostly from the UI perspective - be better to be able
to suspend/resume the transfer instead of cancel and "start new, but with
reget".
Another thing that could be useful for a download manager is limiting the
transfer rate of a download. Downloader for X can do this. It has three
buttons with user-defineable limits for the download rate. This can also be
quite useful to save some spare bandwith, or if you want to do some big file
transfers over your lan while burning a CD, also over lan. Can this be done
with/easily be added to kio?

--
This project is so important, we can't let things that are more
important interfere with it.