List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Fwd: UI idea.
From:       AndreasWSimon () t-online ! de (Andreas)
Date:       2002-05-02 14:12:23

On Thu, 2002-05-02 at 14:46, Chris Lee wrote:
> Hey, guys. Got this from a friend today. What do you think?

I like the idea from your friend but it's nothing new.
Pie menus are at least 10 years old. But so far no desktop
environment (at least none which I know of) uses them
although they're quite popular in games.
Why? Maybe the disadvantages of pie menus are too grave
(complicated support for input devices != mouse, menus grow
too big too fast, etc.) but such a discussion belongs
to kde-usability.

Several people already suggested the usage of pie menus in
several Gnome and KDE mailing lists but so far nothing has
shown up. So I would'nt hold my breath for a KDE
implementation anytime soon.

But wasn't there once a Qt implementation for pie menus (I think
it was for Qt 1)? Does anyone still has the code or a pointer
to where to find it?

Cheers,
Andreas

See