List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: off topic: teambuilder?
From:       Jonathan Belson <jon () witchspace ! com>
Date:       2002-05-01 18:12:22

Andrea Aime wrote:

> I'm trying ccache and as far as I can tell there's no gain in using it, that
> is, the cache hit counter is not growing while I compile kdebase. If this
> was a method to get precompiled headers I should have seen the hit
> counter growing since most of the file include a similar set of include files.
> As far as I know a gcc with precompiled headers support is being worked
> on with very interesting results, and this gets you a ten-fold improvement

I didn't mean to suggest that ccache adds pre-compiled headers to gcc.
It's just that gcc is an absolute dog for compilation times compared
to something like Borland Builder, partly due to its lacking features
like p.h.

> in compite times, but ccache is useful only during "./configure", it's the
> only situation in which I see the hit counter growing, otherwise during
> "make" I see a lots of misses and very few hits. It seems that ccache is

You will only get a hit if you've compiled the file before...

> useful only if you "make", "make clean", and then make again to get

I do a make clean && make fairly often, especially before a cvs
commit (I haven't timed, but it must be 5 - 10 times faster).  It's
reassuring to know that you haven't broken anything 8^)

--Jon

<http://www.witchspace.com>