List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE's aRTs and VMWare
From:       Thiago Macieira <thiagom () wanadoo ! fr>
Date:       2002-04-30 12:12:19

Hetz Ben Hamo wrote
>Hi People,
>
>I'm trying to play a bit with aRTs and with VMWare (to see if I can capture
>the sound out of vmware, or maybe to tweak it a bit)...
>
>I've tried to run: artsdsp vmware
>
>This is running, but according to arts-control - the aRTs doesn't get
> anything out of it. I have also tried artdsp xmms for testing (with the oss
> driver) - this time it seems aRTs is indeed routing the sound and plays it
> (with a small problem - when I stop XMMS, aRTs keeps playing for 1 more
> second)..
>
>My question: how can I force VMWare to output the sound through arts? is
> there a way to record what arts is getting?

The problem with running artsdsp vmware is that artsdsp works by using
LD_PRELOAD. Since vmware is a setuid application, the loader simply ignores
the LD_PRELOAD variable. I have two solutions for that:

1) Create a /etc/ld.so.preload file and place the required aRTs libraries
there:
/usr/lib/libartsdsp.so
/usr/lib/libartsc.so

Please note that that file should be available only when vmware is run.
Otherwise, all programs shall get the libraries loaded -- which would be like
running all of them with artsdsp.

Then again, that might not be such a bad idea...

2) This is Linux-specific and works for me because I use ALSA.
I used the snd-card-dummy module and so it loaded for me /dev/snd/pcmC1D0p and
/dev/dsp1. I just told VMWare to use /dev/dsp1 instead of /dev/dsp for its
sound output.

Then I run this in a konsole terminal:
artscat /proc/asound/1/pcmloopD0S0p -b16 -c2 -r44100

And then note that the sound works right only when the guest OS is playing at
44.1 kHz, 16-bit and stereo. But the nifty thing is that you can also do an
oggenc -r /proc/asound/1/pcmloop/D0S0p -o myrecording.ogg

Why am I using the second alternative, which is more difficult? Because I
using the aRTs libraries to play sound makes things go slower. In VMWare, you
hear only pieces of the sound, with silent interruptions. And while playing
movies in xine and mplayer, I notice that less image frames are output (full
screen, VMWare is running). It seems that the libraries take up too many
cycles...

--
  Thiago Macieira - UFOT Registry number: 1001
 thiagom@mail.com