List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: "Save session for future logins" is misleading
From:       Ironfroggy <ironfroggy () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2002-04-27 17:23:54

I have to agree with Bernardo.  If I uncheck the "Save this session",
I don't want ANY session restored.  How can I easily remove any
sessions being saved?  Command-line?  KDE is a graphic enviroment,
and should be striving to graphically represent all options.  The
idea of saving and restoring multiple sessions is a good one as well.
 Could even merge them.  Such as, open Session A and Session B
(perhaps A being a development enviroment and B a seperate
CVS/compilation session.  Sometimes you want them seperate, sometimes
you want both.  Additionally, an option to close only certain open
sessions would be interesting as well.  I'm checking my mail, someone
points out a bug in some program I'm working on.  I open my
developement session along with whatever else I'm doing and fix the
bug, commit it to CVS, and close the session.  Very interesting idea,
i believe.

--- Oswald Buddenhagen <ossi@kde.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 27, 2002 at 02:07:33AM -0400, Bernardo Hung wrote:
> > But there's a potential point for confusion here because
> unchecking it still
> > causes the session to be restored at next login, just not the
> current one.
> >
> well, that's the idea. you can "freeze" a certain session. it's
> cool. :)
>
> > Wouldn't it be less confusing to not restore the session whenever
>
> > saveSession=false?
> >
> no.
>
> > Or break it up into 2 options like "Restore session at next
> login" and
> > "Save this session"?
> >
> that's the idea.  actually, this option to restore the session or
> not
> belongs to kdm (and on the startkde command line). adding a
> checkbox to
> it would be trivial; everything necessary has been already
> discussed.
> the problem is, that support for multiple sessions is going to be
> added
> soon. the problem here is, that kdm should work with any session
> manager
> (be it ksmserver, xsm, whatever.), so how do you communicate it the
> available choices in a portable way?
>
> greetings
>
> --
> Hi! I'm a .signature virus! Copy me into your ~/.signature, please!
> --
> The problem with making software idiot-proof is that idiots are so
> clever.

=====
Question