List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Knotify question
From:       Stephan Johach <lucardus () onlinehome ! de>
Date:       2002-04-25 17:54:17

Hi!

Am Mittwoch, 24. April 2002 21:14:21 schrieb Tim Jansen:
> On Wednesday 24 April 2002 16:56, Manuel Amador \(Rudd-O\) wrote:
> > >How about a timeout for the displayed messages so that the message will
> > > remain on the screen for say 10 seconds?
> >
> > HATE to be stolen their focus.  Please, pretty please, consider
> > designing a notification icon a la MSN messenger that displays messages
> > in a floating window.
>
> This is exactly what KPassivePopups do. krfb (in kdenetwork) seems the only
> app in CVS that uses them right now: if you connect with a VNC client or
> disconnect the passive popup will appear next to the tray icon.

I had a look at KPassivePopup, but that's not the actual problem I
see with kmail using knotify for mail arrival message boxes.

My actual question was not about loosing focus. It was about opening
a new messagebox every time a new mails arrive without closing
the former.

If you have a flat rate and your mail checking interval
is let's say configured to check every 5 minutes for new mails, you
soon have many open messageboxes when you leave your computer
for a while. It's not that fun when you have to close about 20 windows
because you left your computer for shopping and kmail opens
a messagebox every time a new mail in kde-devel arrives.

I don't think KPassivPopup can solve this. It should be possible
to have something like a KUniquePopup or a KUniquePassivePopup. :)

If there's a popup open for this notification (perhaps application specific)
no new popup should be opened. It's of no use if 10 popups
have the same meaning, e.g. "You have new Mail!".

Perhaps we can have something like

KNotifyClient::event( Event, Message, bUniqueMessage )

If bUniqueMessage is set to true, every further event send by
the same application is ignored by knotify until the messagebox
is closed by the user.

Regards,
Stephan