List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: will java ever work again?
From:       Till Krech <till () snafu ! de>
Date:       2002-04-21 21:58:39

Yes.
It's fixed.
Please update.

There are still some problems though. E.g. the java2d demo from j2sdk1.4.0
expects the KJASAppletClassLoader to be an instance of java.net.URLClassLoader
but it isn't and this leads to a Class Cast Exception.

But all jdk 1.1 demo applets work fine.

Please note also that the situation is different if the applet is embedded via
java plugin is loaded, if it can be found on your system, e.g:
/usr/local/netscape/plugins/java2/plugin/i386/ns4/javaplugin.so
By default this plugin does not work because it thinks that the browser is too new.
The User agent string of konqueror is passed to the plugin and it says that it
is a Mozilla/5.0. The plugin expects a Mozilla/4.x.
It helps, if you set your user agent to Netscape 4.x on a page using the plugin.
The newer netscape 6 plugin (libjavaplugin_oji.so) does not work at all because
it follows a different plugin api which is not (yet) supported by nspluginviewer.

Greetings, Till