List:       kde-devel
Subject:    QT winId(), QXEmbed and friends with Vim KPart
From:       Mickael Marchand <marchand () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-04-19 7:15:08

Hi,

I'm working on KVim, trying to give him the Keyboard focus in the vim
kpart. Starting kvim inside the kpart, does not resize correctly KVim
inside the kpart and does not give it the Keyboard focus

->a quick description first :
the kpart is composed of a QXembed widget to which I give my KVim
KMainWindow winId() to embed it.
KVim is composed of a KMainWindow, a VimWidget(inherits QWidget) and a
QFrame (child of Vimwidget)

->problem
My problem is that the KMainWindow and the VimWidget have two different
winId(), if I give the KMainWindow's winId to the kpart it embeds the
whole app but kvim does not get the keyboard focus.
if I give the vimwidget's winId to the kpart, this time I have a good
vimwidget inside the kpart, which has keyboard focus but I have also a
toplevel window (surely the KMainWindow) which is not embedded in the kpart.
I think giving the KMainWindow winId() to the QXembed should do it,
maybe X/Qt Events are not sent correctly to the VimWidget to give it the
focus has expected. Or maybe QXembed generate X events and not QT events
so these X events are not transmitted to children like QT events are,
I'm not sure for that...

please help us :)

Cheers,
Mik

--
Mickael Marchand
Engineer student, Ecole des Mines de Douai - France