List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE in the Kernel
From:       Martijn Klingens <klingens () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-04-17 21:10:50

On Wednesday 17 April 2002 12:54, Jochen Puchalla, Uni wrote:
> So they were accused of bundling windows with the IE and what did they do?
> They were integrating IE deeper into the system to use this for their
> defense. This is absurd.

If at all then only partly. MS recognized the power of HTML/web technology and
made use of this, exactly the way KDE uses KHTML also for the help center and
the splash screens for example. There is really no difference except...

> The IE is just an example for MS' market power.
> Real Networks is next and then someone else.
> This is not healthy for an industry, having too little competition.

... this. KDE doesn't have a monopoly. Still, _technically_ I really can't
object at all to MS bundling IE with Windows. It made perfect sense. That
they in the process also brilliantly eliminated Netscape is the downside. And
I don't think it's coincidence that they killed Netscape either. But that
doesn't mean that it was technically a huge step forward that might have been
taken even if there was no Netscape. I don't know. I for one don't want to
accuse them of being able to unlink the browser from the OS at least.

> But in the beginning of the trial I also thought: IE in windows? I don't
> care.

Given their monopoly I do care. I don't want it.
Given the technical side I also care. I definitely do want it.

Now don't tell me that's a paradox - I know it is. But it's how I feel about
it :-)

Martijn