List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: tabbed browsing
From:       Doug Hanley <hanleyman () adelphia ! net>
Date:       2002-04-17 1:57:28

On Tuesday 16 April 2002 07:52 pm, Carsten Wolff wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 April 2002 00:38, Doug Hanley wrote:
> > On Tuesday 16 April 2002 01:15 pm, David Bishop wrote:
> > > Using cvs updated as of yesterday, tabbed browsing only works if I
> > > start konqueror via "konqueror".  If I use "kfmclient openProfile
> > > webbrowsing" then it does *not* work at all.  The "new tab" right-click
> > > action just does... nothing.  I've checked and double-check my paths,
> > > and I am running the correct binaries in both cases.
> >
> > I think I know you're problem.  There was a small addition to the profile
> > syntax with tabbed browsing.  There must be something like:
> >
> > View0_docContainer=true
> >
> > for at least one frame or container in a profile, this way konqueror
> > knows what container to add the tabs to.  For webbrowsing its simple.
> > Just add the line above to your profile.  This change is added in the
> > profiles in CVS, but you are probably using your own modified profiles in
> > /home/username/.kde/apps/konqueror/profiles/
> > Your best bet is installing the new profiles from CVS again, then
> > modifying them to suit your needs.  That, or start konqueror from the
> > command line, rebuild your webbrowsing profile, then save it.
>
> Looks like a task for kconf_update.

Hmm... It gets tricky though, sure I could update the profiles to support tabs
with kconf_update, but only if they had not changed the original layout of
the profiles radically (say they made the profile webbrowsing a split pane),
since the key names in the profiles are dynamic according to what type of
profile is being saved.  Also, this couldn't convert custom profiles.
Perhaps just making a new profile called webbrowsing-tabs and making it the
default instead of webbrowsing would work better.  I could also make it so
when a user tries to add a tab in a profile without tab support, an
informative dialog box comes up telling them what to do.

-- Doug