List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE in the Kernel
From:       Kuba Ober <kuba () mareimbrium ! org>
Date:       2002-04-15 22:31:50

> > I'm almost ready to start fabbing my custom-designed Konqueror ICs ;)
>
> cool - now we can start a Verilog vs VHDL flame war ..... of course living
> in the US I'll lead the Verilog forces against the European VHDL weanies

Although I wonder how many gates it would take to implement konqui's (and
maybe Qt's, for a good measure) code after translating it to Verilog/VHDL.
Hmm... might as well be that we'll beat Pentium 4 :-) Well, being serious, it
might quite be that we'll end up with something like 2-4M gates, which would
probably make konqueror+qt much faster than most of what we know ;-)

Now, when one looks at it, a translation to Verilog/VHDL from C++ would allow
us getting the logic equations, which can be minimized, then generating C++
(actually, C would be enough) code from them, and probably getting an
ultra-optimized version of Konqueror. Actually, the only reason that this
isn't done in existing compilers for overall logic of the compiled source is
that there are so many equations, that minimizing them would take ages... gcc
is slow enough without such overkills :-)

I mean, C++ code can be easily translated into state machines, and these can
be made into logic equations working on some memory, so what's the big deal
;-)

Cheers, Kuba